Provost asks faculty to consider inauguration

UK faculty have been asked to allow students to view the inauguration during classes if possible, according to an e-mail from Provost Kumble Subbaswamy intended for distribution to faculty members.

Subbaswamy cited the social importance of the inauguration, to be televised between about 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Tuesday, as the reason to be flexible in classes.

“His election is serving as an inspiration for young African-Americans and children of immigrants to believe in their own ability to succeed at the highest level,” he said in the e-mail. “There is intense interest among our students to witness the inauguration.”

Subbaswamy suggested several methods for instructors, such as incorporating the inauguration into the class, not scheduling quizzes and forgiving class absence.

-Jill Laster

Noah says:

Actually Obama is far inferior to previous Presidents. He is sometimes compared to Kennedy, but Kennedy was a decorated war hero and served 12 years in the US Senate before running for President. Obama has no public service except 3 years running for President. The closest recent President to Obama is Clinton….the dope-smoking, draft-dodging, philanderer-in-chief who drug the entire country down the level of Arkansas. But even then, Clinton had 6 terms as Gov of his homestate.

Noah says:

If UK is not a racist school, then why does Obama’s race matter to Subasswamy? King wanted people to be treated on the basis of character and achievement. Who is Obama and what has he done (without regard to his race) that makes him more than any other President?