Shopping locally helps the environment in many ways

Column by Emily Foerster

As I read the news last week of the Wal-Mart greeter who was trampled to death by a stampede of Black Friday shoppers, I realized that the holiday season has degenerated into one of the more disgusting times of the American year. It is the pinnacle of human greed and competition. And worst of all, more often than not, the money to be earned from it lands in the hands of retail Goliaths like Wal-Mart.

On Nov. 26, “Business Lexington” ran a story called “Vocal Locals,” which detailed the community benefits of shopping locally (www.bizlex.com). It is becoming increasingly important to the economic security of our community that we pay attention to this kind of rhetoric.

For example, according to a study conducted in Grand Rapids, Mich. (population 200,000), if only 10 percent of chain-store shoppers shifted their spending to local businesses, it could add as many as 1,600 jobs to the community, totaling $53 million in locally earned wages. Lexington’s population is currently estimated around 280,000, which means shopping locally could potentially create an even greater impact.

To help you think of ways you can buy locally this season and after, I have compiled a list of some of my favorite local businesses that are close enough to campus to walk or bike, so you don’t have to burn fossil fuels to get there.

For music, go to CD Central  or The Album, both located on South Limestone across from Holmes Hall. They sell a wide range of music, movies and gifts suited to different tastes. The Album (next to CD Central) specializes in hip-hop records, many of which are on vinyl. The Album’s owner and his employees are Lexington’s undisputed experts on hip-hop and its history, so if hip-hop is what you’re looking for, buy from them.

For books, go to Black Swan Books, Glover’s Bookery, Unique Books, Sqecial Media, Morgan Adams Books or the Morris Book Shop. Avoid Barnes & Noble Booksellers at all costs. Each of these shops has its own ambiance and special focus, so what you can’t find at one store, you may easily find at another. Black Swan (Maxwell Street and Woodland Avenue) and Glover’s Bookery (South Broadway) specialize in rare and used books. Unique Books (Woodland at Maxwell) specializes in used books, and their selection of paperbacks is fantastic and cheap.

Sqecial Media (South Limestone) offers a variety of knick-knacks (incense, jewelry, toys, journals, etc.), and though books aren’t their specialty, their selection and prices are decent. Sqecial’s owner also owns Morgan Adams Books, located on Leestown Road, which has similar prices and a better selection, even if it is a little farther away. The Morris Book Shop, the new independent bookstore located on Southland Drive near the Co-op, has an extensive local selection, among other things, and an extremely knowledgeable staff.

For yarn and other supplies, go to ReBelle or Magpie Yarn. Both specialize in yarn and crochet/knitting, but each has its own unique atmosphere. ReBelle, located on S. Limestone, appeals to a younger, edgier clientele and has a wider selection of interesting pre-made gifts. Magpie, on East High Street, is simpler and quieter, but it has beautiful yarn and a nice nook where shoppers can sit and knit.

While the stores I have described are my favorites, there are so many others that I highly recommend: Pedal Power for bikes; Black Market and Helen’s Boutique for women’s apparel; Lucia’s for global, fair-trade goods; Third Street Stuff for trinkets and coffee; Common Grounds and Coffea for coffee and gift certificates; AP Roots for local food; and Good Foods Co-op for groceries and beauty products.

Don’t forget to shop early. Smaller, local stores can’t shelve as much merchandise as Wal-Mart, but with enough notice, they can order a lot of what you need. Good luck, local shoppers.  And as always, remember to reduce, reuse and recycle by wrapping gifts in newspaper or old grocery bags.