Lexington should refocus funding for Equestrian Games

As we near the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian games, it is commonplace for horses to have significantly better accommodations than humans. Horse racing is an inherent characteristic of Kentucky, but we need to get our priorities straight. There is a problem when the state is spending $29 million — yes, $29 million dollars — on superficial improvements to Lexington for the FEI Equestrian games (Kentucky Horse Park).

Our governor has found a way to take money from the stretched state budget to make Lexington appear better than it is for a 16-day event. According to KHP, “Governor Beshear has defended his position that Kentucky has a reputation to protect and demonstrate that it is the best place for horses in the entire world and by having a state-of-the art and world-class facility that it will create further interest … in the horse industry in Kentucky … ”

We should take a more vested interest in the people. Lexington has homeless shelters and outreach programs for the homeless, but more should be done for this disenfranchised group. The $29 million being spent on the FEI games to should be spent on programs that serve our community’s needs by offering more services, constructing new facilities and investing in us. Kentucky’s current plan portrays the fact that it is more interested in its appearance than its citizens. Why is the state spending so much money to improve the looks of Lexington for a 16-day event when there are hungry, homeless people?

Tim Bowman

Spanish and social work senior

Toni Perry

social work junior