New building is still excessive

Apparently we should praise the Webbs for finally consulting the community about the design of CentrePointe. The company announced they have received feedback from the community. After concealing the project for two years, should anyone be impressed by any effort by the company in charge of this monstrosity that will soon take over downtown Lexington?

Despite most residents – and nearly all college students – being adamantly against the $250 million project, Webb and his company pushed on with the plans. The Courthouse Area Design Review Board finally approved the changes to the CentrePointe project Monday after many revisions, according to a Wednesday Kernel article. Now they claim to have responded to feedback and the community will most certainly see through this ploy to gain back their approval.

The new design is less modern and will give the building a more classic, traditional look, according to the article. But honestly, unless the building is completely redesigned, it will probably not “look more in keeping with the surrounding buildings,” as Woodford Webb would like. The phallic building wouldn’t really fit in to any city plan, except one that could hide it. Lexington is not that city. This truly will be the center point of the city.

Webb’s company most likely made these changes to to make it seem as if they care about the residents’ opinions, while it was likely just to please the Marriot hotel. If it were about the residents, this monstrosity would not be taking over an entire block of Main Street. Instead, we would still be enjoying Lexington hotspots like Mia’s, Busters and The Dame in their original locations.

Right now, it doesn’t really matter what changes have been made to the design. Everything is final and there’s no going back. It’s time to think long term.

With the state of our economy, Lexingtonians should want to know one thing— will the project bring jobs and money to the city? Sure … initially. But everyone wonders, what about after the 2010 FEI World Equestrian Games? Will there have been the need to increase the amount of condos and space for the hotel? That’s to be determined.