Columnist using double standard in criticizing Greek system

I’m not going to rant and rave about how ignorant Zachary Kiser is or how offended I am by what he said, because my beef with him really doesn’t have much to do with being Greek at all. As a former sorority member, I understand what it is like to be Greek. But as a SUCCESS representative, I understand what it is like to feel the weight of tradition and majority rule on your shoulders as you seek to foster the change this campus needs in the ways of diversity and inclusion and openness.

That being said, I am ashamed of people like Kiser who believe in this double standard of respect. I find it hilarious that he calls the Greek community hypocritical when he is the one who has lumped thousands of students into one big stereotypical pot of keg parties, white power and superiority complexes. As a student dedicated to seeing inclusion on this campus, I can definitively say that opinions such as Kiser’s do not help our cause.

I have seen firsthand how dejected members of the Greek community become when they as a whole are constantly ridiculed for behaviors and opinions held by a few. Greeks should not be viewed any differently than any other student group. Respect should not be reserved for certain groups. If you want Greeks to change, then start believing they are capable of it.

Emily Brantley

SUCCESS representative