Q & A with Bruce Lunsford

Q: Mitch McConnell has said his clout as Senate minority leader has allowed him to offer financial support to the state. How do you think your influence as an entering junior senator compares with McConnell’s now?

A: When you’re part of a minority, especially a minority that’s hanging on by its fingernails, someone in the majority is going to have clout.

Q: You have talked often on the campaign trail about the close relationship between President George W. Bush and Sen. McConnell. Do you think their economic outlooks are similar?

A: They have a 100 percent policy — George Bush, Mitch McConnell — that you go from the top down, you take care of the richest first. They constantly have policies that benefit the very wealthy that fund the smear that I’ve seen during this race.

Q: You have said the economic bailout was a good thing, but ultimately rushed. Can you expand on that?

A: I don’t believe it’s the best use of money. … We have to get inventory cleaned up, and buying toxic mortgages is not the way to do that.

Q:According to your Web site, (www.bruce2008.com), “We can help more students afford college by passing a tuition tax credit to help ease the burden on working families.” How do you intend to get this tax credit?

A: I’m going to hope out of 100 senators, there’s going to be someone like me who owes their life to education.

Q: On the Web site, you also mention reforming financial aid applications, perhaps by making a simple Internet form. Why?

A: We have to make sure people who have an education have an advantage over those who don’t.

Q: Do you believe Sen. McConnell has a good working relationship with Gov. Steve Beshear?

A: One thing Mitch has always done is make it about himself. I want to make it about Kentucky. … I’m not trying to build a monument to me.