Kentuckians, use the Obama effigy as a call to vote against stupidity

Column by Duke Gatsos

Of course we’re all offended by the miserable act of ignorance discovered on campus and maybe somewhat surprised that this kind of sentiment exists here. Once you get over your sensitivity, maybe you’ll be able to see the silver lining.

Yes, even in the most ridiculous and sublime, there is a learning point. In fact, I am close to thanking the coward for raising some incentive for my previously uncommitted vote. I was considering not voting (yes, how unpatriotic of me) before this incident.  Now, my dormant sense of responsibility has kicked into high gear. You’ll see me out there voting, not because I like one of the candidates or what they stand for. Rather, I’ll be punching my ballot into the face of ignorance.

Before the incident, I might have been ridiculed for not voting. My lack of patriotism, lack of respect and lack of care for our political system are all worthy of criticism. I can handle being a part of those groups. However, I will no longer associate myself with this group if morons like the one who did this are on the team.

Casting my vote with intelligence will separate me from people who would draw such attention to the idiocy still existing on our campus, in our state and in our country.  There is little difference between a mute ballot and a dumb prank, and I realize that now.  Those of you who didn’t care about voting, like me, ought to care now.

Maybe you were finding yourself buried under the pile of ad campaigns, slick (or unslick) debates, SNL programs, candidate comedy contests and everything else being thrown on you. Perhaps you feel sick about voting in the wake of Ohio and Florida disenfranchisement.  Perhaps you want to protest how little your one vote really counts, and how the only people we get to choose from are the politically and financially backed. Well, our “fellow American” laid all that to rest on a tree. We’re going to have to vote just to show ourselves that we’re not that lost.

I hope the great sleeping Kentucky giant will now arise.  We are known for our slow, laid-back nature and our come and set awhile attitude.  Certainly, that is part of our charm.  However, those who pay attention know that when we do something, and when we get called to the table, we act with strength, confidence and maturity. Without a doubt, our misguided wretch has called us out. In response: with a twisted, awkward feeling as closely connected to gratitude and relief as possible without feeling sick, I now know what to do, and all of Kentucky must be with me on this. We have to vote – more than any other state, in record numbers and with strength.

We must separate ourselves from idiots who need to make public displays and show the world what Bluegrass pride is all about. Show yourself you can’t sit back and let morons speak for you, your university, your state or your country.  It’s stupid to lash out with the same kind of idiocy that sparked such a moronic act. But there is one peaceable act you can take to fight back – get out and vote on Nov. 4!