Develop a relationship with your pharmacist this month

When most people think of October, they think of fall, midterms and Halloween. The fact that October is American Pharmacist Month is probably not at the top of many of their lists of exciting things that happen in October. However, as students in the UK College of Pharmacy, we are excited about American Pharmacist Month and the opportunity it brings us to promote our profession.

As student pharmacists, we learn more than just how to count pills. Pharmacy has evolved to become an integral part of the healthcare delivery system, and we are thrilled about this role. Pharmacists are involved in many parts of the healthcare delivery system: community pharmacies, hospitals, long-term care facilities and research in the pharmaceutical industry are just a few places you can find pharmacists.

The theme of American Pharmacist Month is “Know Your Medicine — Know Your Pharmacist.” For many people, pharmacists provide the most direct access to healthcare. Patients who know their pharmacists are able to gain quick access to the answers they seek about their health. We encourage you to get to know your local pharmacist, and develop a relationship that will benefit you and your health.

As student pharmacists, we want to wish you a healthy month and hope that you will build a relationship with your pharmacist. We look forward to working with you soon!

Katie Long

Second-year pharmacy student