Band creates lyrics laced with governmental criticism

By Matt Murray

“If the machine of government is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say break the law.” This quote from Henry David Thoreau is buried in the liner notes of the CD, but it certainly is a theme that Rise Against has woven into the fabric of their newest album, “Appeal to Reason.”

Unlike many of their punk and hardcore peers, Rise Against is not plagued by hollow lyrics that degrade the American government simply because it has become a trend shared by artists of their genre.

That isn’t to say Rise Against doesn’t attack the government, but rather that governmental criticism has been their intention since their inception in 2001. Their honest intent allows them to present their arguments in more persuasive and effective manners than the rhetoric that pervades the lyrics of other groups of similar political stances. In the albums lone ballad, “Hero of War,” lead singer Tim McIlrath recounts true stories he has heard from soldiers returning from Iraq. The sentiment adds substance to the governmental grievances that form the foundation of the rest of the album.

In order to listen to “Appeal to Reason” one truly has to be in a particular mood. The album doesn’t exactly contain its share of “feel good” songs. In fact every single song in some way pertains to how our government or the people of our country are doing something wrong. It becomes a bit preachy at times, but the irresistible hooks are the glue that holds the album together. The entire record is formed by hardcore anthems that are prime for fist pumping, and promise to resonate in the ears of its listeners for days.

Rise Against has found a way to stay true to their original sound, while gaining popularity at an astonishing rate. Despite changing record labels three separate times, they have never shown any signs of abandoning their fans, nor their beliefs. In fact the only thing they have shown is growth in both songwriting and popularity and the latter has happened for good reason. If you want an album to sing along and drum on your steering wheel to, don’t let “Appeal to Reason” pass you by.

Matt Murray is a journalism sophomore.