Finally starting, injury sidelines senior

By Alex Risen

Senior midfielder Kristin Kover wasn’t happy to be sitting on the bench.

After being primarily a reserve in her first three seasons at UK, Kover was no longer content with being a substitute. Sure, Kover has played in most of the women’s soccer team’s games since she’s been at UK, but as the clock ticked toward the end of her career, Kover made a move.

“She wasn’t starting and made the decision to come to me and she asked what she needed to do in order to start,” UK head coach Warren Lipka said. “She really elevated her game and went out before and after practice to work on her touch and passing. She’s an integral part of our team and we need her to distribute the ball at midfield.”

In her freshman year at UK, Kover, a midfielder/defender, saw action in 17 games, starting two of them. The following year, she appeared in every match and had seven starts, building upon her skills and technique and earning more playing time. Her junior year, Kover started two of the 17 games she played in.

Again, Kover began the 2008 season as a reserve, but she didn’t give up on her goal of starting.

Kover started her first game of the season Oct. 3 against South Carolina. But, in the next game, on Oct. 5 against Florida, Kover broke the fifth metatarsal in her left foot.

Now Kover is out four weeks. If she returns on schedule, she’ll be ready for the Southeastern Conference tournament.

“I’m the team’s biggest supporter right now and my injury doesn’t stop my vocal ability on the sidelines,” Kover said. “I have to be a leader and I have to be supportive and stern to help my team.”

The impact she has off the field and on the sidelines is important right now for the young Cats, Lipka said. Their roster is made up of 18 freshmen and sophomores to just four seniors, and Lipka said the team is searching for leadership.

“She’s a leader on and off the field,” Lipka said. “She’s self-motivated, and her effort and attitude says something about her. She stepped up and now something like this has to happen. It’s just unlucky.”

Kover’s longtime roommate and teammate, senior defender Tara Herold, said the team is like a family and seeing Kover on the sidelines during her senior year is hard to watch.

“She’s been playing well and we all want her back on the field,” Herold said. “She’s joking around off the field and taking it as it comes. She’s just going to have to fight through it and move on because there’s nothing she can do about it now.”