Gameday recycling has a positive impact on tailgaters

As a freshman in the dorms, I remember thinking that the ResLife recycling plan was a great idea. I soon found out that others in my dorm didn’t feel the same way when our recycling bins began to overflow with trash. We are adults and in college; we need to take some responsibility when it comes to recycling. It doesn’t take much longer to sort some of our trash. If everyone gives even a little effort, we will make a difference.

I am a member of Kappa Delta sorority and as mentioned in a Sept. 26 article, we have teamed up with the university to promote the recycling of aluminum cans. The first football game that we handed out green garbage bags, we had a great response from the tailgaters. Everyone we talked to seemed really enthusiastic about the idea. Three home games later, we can simply walk around the parking lots and we have tailgaters asking us for bag instead of having to ask them to recycle. It’s a great feeling to get the positive response we have gotten from them.

It’s something as simple as what we are doing at each home football game that is going to make a difference in our environment. There are recycling bins set up all around campus, and if everyone on campus would go a little out of their way to use them properly, I think that we could make a very positive impact.

Rebecca Pelfrey

communications and journalism sophomore