Online gaming lawsuit a sign of over-regulation

In grade school, we all learned about America being great. We are the land of freedom and opportunity. I am a U.S. citizen that financially supports the government to help protect me as I live my life freely. But I always question these teachings when the government constantly keeps me from living freely, especially when it is regulation that does not involve protecting us from other people and businesses.

The government forces me to protect me from myself by making me wear my seatbelt and making harmful drugs illegal, both of which I would be able to decide for myself if I really had all my freedom; if my actions are not threatening other people I don’t understand the regulation on them. The government makes me please the social climate by inspecting my personal property and making me pay money (tickets) if I have certain types of furniture on my back porch or my lawn consistently grows taller than my neighbors like.

Government forcing me to pay taxes is understandable, but I believe making things illegal unless you give the government money (which is essentially what this gambling lawsuit is about), is morally wrong. If these gambling Web sites start giving the government money like the horse industry does, can they stay online? On that note, can I buy myself out of murder? If it hurts people then make it illegal, if it doesn’t then make it legal.

There shouldn’t be gray areas on gambling. Maybe government officials should start having to complete an introductory philosophy course before they are instated into office.

Phill Heavrin

telecommunications senior