National signing day sees two highly touted recruits commit to Kentucky men’s basketball

Abbey Cutrer
Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari puts his fists up during the Kentucky vs. Georgetown men’s basketball game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 92-69. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Staff

The Kentucky men’s basketball program officially added two new recruits from the 2024 class on Wednesday evening.

Somto Cyril, a four-star center who committed in June, and Boogie Fland, a five-star combo guard, who recently committed in October are now officially Wildcats as Wednesday marked national signing day where the two put the pen to paper.

Cyril is a 6-foot, 10-inch shot blocking force who is currently playing for RWE in the Overtime Elite basketball league where he is averaging 11.6 points per game and 3.6 blocks per game in his OTE career.

Cyril is nationally ranked No. 52 overall and he is also ranked as the ninth best center in the nation according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

The Chattanooga native had many schools to choose from as Indiana, Georgetown, Florida and Cincinnati were all making a push for the big man as well.

Switching to Fland, a 6-foot, 2-inch combo guard, he averaged 18.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game his junior season with Archbishop Stepinac High School in White Plains, New York.

Fland is nationally ranked No. 20 on the 247Sports composite rankings and is ranked as the third best player in the state of New York.

Just like Cyril, Fland had many schools trying to pursue him including Alabama, Michigan, North Carolina and Indiana.

The talent coming to Lexington is nothing short of expected as head coach John Calipari is known as one of the best recruiters in all of college sports and, while Cyril and Fland are the only two that make up the 2024 recruiting class for Kentucky right now, the coach is likely far from finished with the class.