Spot the fake

Bailey Vandiver

Fake news is a new—and scary—phenomenon in American journalism, but a new series starting on Thursday by esteemed journalism professors will help navigate this topic.

A series of sessions exploring fake news and how to respond will begin Feb. 9. The series is sponsored by the School of Journalism and Media, the Bluegrass and UK chapters of the Society of Professional Journalists, the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues, the Department of Communication and the Scripps Howard First Amendment Center.

The first session will be led by journalism professor and Director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues Al Cross and and journalism professor Dr. Mike Farrell. SPJ Bluegrass Chapter President Dr. Elizabeth Hansen will facilitate their discussion.

“Anyone could benefit (from attending the event), but especially journalism and communication students,” Cross said.

The presentation is coming after President Donald Trump’s administration labeled the media “Public Enemy No. 1,” Farrell said.

“The role of the news media is not to be the ‘opposition party,’ but to be the opposition in terms of holding government and public institutions accountable for what they do or don’t do,” Cross said.

Cross and Farrell will discuss fake news, alternative facts as used by the Trump administration, Governor Matt Bevin’s relationship with the media and how they believe journalists should respond.

The first session is being held on Thursday, Feb. 9 at 12:30 p.m. in the Maggie Room of the Grehan Journalism Building.