On-campus event will offer alternative to potential white nationalist rally

Kentuckians gather in front of the Courthouse in downtown Lexington in solidarity with Charlottesville, Virginia on Monday August 14, 2017. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Jasper Jones

Since rumors began of a white nationalist rally coming to Lexington, there has been talk of an alternative event on UK’s campus.

The reason for the potential white nationalist rally is the ongoing discussion by Lexington Mayor Jim Gray and the city as to what should be done with statues of Confederate soldiers located downtown.

The Martin Luther King Center plans to lead this event, according to Director Kahlil Baker. 

“We are creating an opportunity for the UK community to speak to our values,” Baker said.

He said he wants students to take an active role in this event and even take a leadership role. He said a group of administrators, in departments and offices, such as Student Success, Provost, Institutional Diversity, Counseling and Public Safety, are meeting regularly to discuss what the event might look like.

Baker said it is too early in the process to know details of the event, and its goal is still to be determined.

“It’s too early to discuss specifics and, at the appropriate time, students should and will be able to speak to that,” Baker said. “We, as an administration, can provide some context about the kind of support the institution will provide.”