PREVIEW: Kentucky baseball hosts Vanderbilt with SEC Championship at stake

Kentucky infielder Ryan Nicholson prepares to hit during the Kentucky vs Auburn baseball game on Saturday, April 13, 2024, at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Alabama. Kentucky won 13-8. Photo provided by Auburn Athletics

The final weekend of the regular season has arrived and No. 2 Kentucky baseball is set to host the Vanderbilt Commodores.

The home Wildcats enter the series 20-7, which is first in the SEC East. The Bat Cats have swept Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn and Alabama while also taking series wins against Florida, Missouri and Arkansas, while only losing series to Tennessee and South Carolina.

The visiting Commodores come into the series 12-15, which is fifth in the SEC East. The Commodores have swept Auburn and Missouri and won the series against LSU and Florida, but have been swept by Texas A&M, South Carolina and Georgia and taken series losses against Mississippi State and Tennessee. 

Team comparison

Beginning with offense, the Wildcats are first in the SEC with a team batting average of .301 in conference games while the Commodores are eighth with a .259 team batting average in conference action.

In terms of on-base percentage, the Wildcats slide down one spot to second with a .401 on-base percentage in conference play. The Commodores also dropped down to a tie for 12th place with a .341 on-base percentage in conference action. 

Looking at slugging percentage in conference action, the Wildcats are fourth in the SEC at .534 while the Commodores are 10th with a slugging percentage of .422. 

Switching gears to the mound, the home Cats come in with a 5.21 team ERA in conference play, which is fifth in the SEC, with the Commanders just behind them in sixth with a 5.85 team ERA in conference games. 

When looking at batting average against in conference play, the Cats are second in the SEC with a .238 batting average against, while the Commodores are just behind them in fourth with a .250 batting average against. 

Offensive players to watch 

Starting with the home Wildcats, Ryan Waldschmidt has been a catalyst of the Wildcats’ offensive approach in conference play as he leads the team with a .385 batting average and a .493 on-base percentage while also posting a .642 slugging percentage. On the year, Waldschmidt maintains his team lead in on-base percentage at .488 while also posting a .354 batting average and a .609 slugging percentage.

Another Wildcat that has been a complete hitter in conference play is Nick Lopez, who has posted a .330 batting average, .408 on-base percentage and a .544 slugging percentage. Lopez leads the Bat Cats in batting average on the year at .372 while also hitting to a .437 on-base percentage and a .587 slugging percentage. 

The power for the Wildcats in conference play has been supplied by Ryan Nicholson, who leads the team with a .745 slugging percentage along with a .314 batting average and a .412 on-base percentage. Looking at his full season, Nicholson remains in the team lead in slugging percentage at .645 while also hitting to a .297 batting average and a .402 on-base percentage. 

The Wildcats will lean on Waldschmidt’s extended conference hot streak, Lopez’s consistency and Nicholson’s power to guide the offense at home.

Looking at the visiting Commodores, Jayden Davis leads starters in conference play with a .347 batting average and a .390 on-base percentage while also posting a .493 slugging percentage. Davis remains in the team lead for batting average on the season at .319 while also hitting to a .393 on-base percentage and a .444 slugging percentage.

The next name to watch out for is RJ Austin, who has posted a .295 batting average, .350 on-base percentage and a .464 slugging percentage in conference play. On the season, Austin has hit to a .312 batting average, .388 on-base percentage and a .454 slugging percentage.

Rounding out the Commodores to watch is Jonathan Vastine, who has posted a .274 batting average, .367 on-base percentage and a .453 slugging percentage. On the year, Vastin leads the Commodores with a .551 slugging percentage along with a .303 batting average and a .402 on-base percentage. 

The Commodores will rely on Davis’ consistency, Austin’s complete stat-line and Vastine’s power to guide the offense on the road. 

Pitching matchups

For the home Wildcats, Trey Pooser has solidified the game-one starter role and he leads Wildcat starters in conference play with a 3.83 ERA in 47 innings pitched, giving up 20 earned runs and striking out 42 batters. One the season, Pooser has pitched to a 4.10 ERA as he has given up 27 earned runs in 59.1 innings pitched and has struck out 57 batters.  

Game one starts for Vanderbilt have belonged to Bryce Cunningham and he has pitched to a 5.04 ERA across 50 innings pitched in which he has given up 28 earned runs and struck out 56 batters. Looking at his numbers on the year, Cunningham has posted a 4.33 ERA in 70.2 innings pitched as he has given up 34 earned runs and struck out 87 batters. 

Every game two start for the Wildcats has belonged to Dominic Niman and in SEC play he has posted a 5.68 ERA in 44.1 innings pitched as he has surrendered 28 earned runs and has struck out 39 batters. The lefty on the year has accumulated a 5.40 ERA across 63.1 innings pitched in which he has given up 38 earned runs and struck out 56 batters. 

As for the visiting Commodores, game two’s have belonged to Carter Holton, who has posted a 4.53 ERA across 49.2 innings pitched in which he has surrendered 25 earned runs and lead starters with 66 strike outs. Holton leads the Commodores with 96 strikeouts while also pitching to a 4.66 ERA in 67.2 innings as he’s given up 35 earned runs. 

Mason Moore has gotten the ball in series finales for the Wildcats and he has pitched to a 5.98 ERA across 46.2 innings pitched in which he has given up 31 earned runs and struck out 42 batters. On the year, Moore has pitched to a 4.74 ERA in 68.1 innings in which he has given up 36 earned runs and he leads starters with 61 strikeouts. 

With no clear cut starter for game three, a name to watch out for is JD Thompson as he has started the past two game three’s for the Commodores and pitched to a 4.15 ERA in 13 innings pitched as he has given up six earned runs and struck out 18 batters in conference play. On the year, Thompson has given up 13 earned runs in 37.2 innings pitched which accumulates to a 3.11 ERA and Thompson has also struck out 54 batters. 

With the stage now set, Kentucky and Vanderbilt will take the field at Kentucky Proud Park for game one on Thursday, May 16, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.