Kernel changes production schedule

By Joshua Qualls

The Kentucky Kernel this summer joined other college newspapers by expanding its online reach and consolidating its print schedule.

The Kernel Board of Directors decided this summer to change its print schedule from five days per week to two days per week on Mondays and Thursdays.

The switch is an effort to improve content in the print paper by giving writers more time to work on investigative stories. At the same time, Kernel Board members said staff will have more time to expand its presence on social media and online.

“I think it takes the chains off the staff — it gives them new ways to supply the information and gather the information as well,” said Duane Bonifer, chairman of Kentucky Kernel Press, Inc. “(They can) think about new ways to gather information and deliver stories.”

The Kernel joins other college papers, including the University Daily Kansan, The University of Illinois’ Daily Illini and San Diego State University’s The Aztec, in printing fewer times per week. Online advertising dollars, video production and a broader reach have attracted student and professional newspapers to the web.

“What you’re seeing at the Kernel is reflective of what’s happening in the industry as a whole,” said Delano Massey, WKYT’s Special Projects and Digital Content Executive Producer and a journalism instructor at UK. “It’s kind of risky, but I think … it puts (the Kernel) in the position to do a bigger social push.”

Last year was a good year financially for the Kernel, Bonifer said, so it was a good time to make the transition. Though printed fewer times per week, the papers will be thicker, typically eight pages rather than four.

“We were in a great position last school year — the Kernel was pretty strong, it had a good foundation,” Bonifer said. “Most media organizations wait until things get tough before they make a change, but we wanted to make it better while we had the resources.”