Church holds holy ‘quest’ this weekend

By Jana Atcher

Instead of its namesake’s reputation for alternative bands, Questapalooza brings some Christian acts to Lexington.

“We’re throwing a party for the city of Lexington that we love,” said Amy Watts, event publicity team leader, who has been a member and volunteer at the church since May 2002.

The event will be held Sunday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Quest Community Church campus on Sporting Court behind the Meijer on Nicholasville Road.

“From the minute people park, they are having fun,” Watts said.

The event features tobyMac, a Grammy award winning music artist, and other recording artists such as Starfield and Foolish Things. It also will include a freestyle motocross performance by Thomas Alves, fair rides for all ages and a giveaway of a 2007 Honda CRV.

Questapalooza drew in an estimated 3,000 people last year and organizers hope to attract more students with increased publicity.

“We want to reach out to the college community,” said DeWayne Tudor, college ministry leader, who has been a church member since Sept. 11, 2005. “It is a big, broad stroke of people and (Questapalooza) has only grown on its ability to create fun.”

This event also has a canned food drive for God’s Pantry Food Bank to help feed the homeless population of Lexington, Watts said.

Tickets are on sale now at the official Web site (www.questapalooza.com), at Quest’s bookstore located within the church, at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Lexington and at Serenity Bookstore in Nicholasville.

Ticket prices are $18 for adults before the event and $20 at the door; $10 for children 3 years to 11 years and are free for children 3 and under.