Kernel article misrepresented viewpoint

I don’t normally read the Kernel. However, because of the attention I received from a Kernel reporter at the city council forum last week, I was curious to inspect the Kernel’s report on such a hotly charged event.

In the Sept. 12 Kernel article, “Sunday alcohol debate pours on,” I was ashamed by how I was represented. The statement in question reads, “Blades said it is more about the reputation of UK.”

On the subject of the Sabbath, I did not say that UK’s reputation outweighs the Christian interest. In fact, I believe the contrary. Though I didn’t go to the forum with any intent or preparation to speak, I hoped that I’d made it clear that my primary interest was the preservation of the Sabbath.

The only reason I did not elaborate further on this issue was because of Mayor Jim Newberry’s request that we simply make reference to duplicate arguments. Concerning the reputation of UK and the city of Lexington, its liquefaction is a tertiary consequence of disobedience of a simple biblical principle: Keep the Sabbath holy.

I would prefer that booze not be sold any day of the week, and particularly not on the Sabbath. Moreover, I realize the ordinance only applies to certain hours on Sunday. I said precisely what I meant when I asked the council not to allow sales on Sunday.

The article stated I am a UK student. But I got off the same bus as all of those Central Baptist College students. My pastor is the fire-breathing Jeff Fugate himself. I am primarily a Christian; next, a fundamental Baptist. Then I am a member of Clays Mill Road Baptist Church. Lastly and least, I am a UK student.

I realize the Kernel is of interest to UK students, but I’m ashamed that it divorced me from the religious side.

I don’t know whether this is a methodological defect in the journalistic process, slapdash journalism, or a contrived manipulation of facts. This is more than a typo; I’ve been completely misrepresented. I just want readers to know where I really stand.

Nicholas Blades

Computer science junior