Former fab five fella to bring fashion advice

By Sarah Knight

For one famously fashionable TV star, helping men learn how to dress isn’t his only passion — he also enjoys sharing his experiences with college students.

Carson Kressley, known for his role as one of the “fab five” on the TV series “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” will be speaking tonight at 8 in the Student Center Grand Ballroom.

“I prefer not to call it a lecture — it sounds so boring,” Kressley said. “Instead, it will be more like a light-hearted discussion.”

With his eye for fashion, Kressley broke into the fashion world by landing a long-term position at Ralph Lauren in New York City. Now, as the host of Lifetime’s new series “How to Look Good Naked,” Kressley spends his time teaching people how to feel good in their own skin and talking to students about how to get their foot in the door of the fashion world.

“It is important to be yourself at all costs,” Kressley said. “Follow your dream and listen to your heart. Don’t worry so much about what others tell you to do, but do what you want.”

Kressley said he hopes that by sharing his experiences with students, he can give them hope for their future and show them there is no one way to make it in any career.

“I can’t give all the answers,” he said. “But I can share my experiences, and hopefully it will help to inspire others.”

Kressley said he also plans on talking about the phenomenon of reality television and America’s obsession with celebrities. At the end of the lecture, he will open up the floor for a question and answer session.

“Hopefully, with the question and answers, I can give some sort of ‘insider’s look’ at celebrities,” Kressley said.

Lauren Baxter, director of pop culture for Student Activities Board, which is sponsoring the talk, said SAB chose Kressley to come to UK because he brings something a little different.

“We were looking for a speaker that deals with topics that have not been discussed before — in this case, fashion,” Baxter said.

Baxter said she hopes the discussion helps make students a little more confident in their body image.

“I hope people realize that he has an amazing message,” she said. “(‘How to Look Good Naked’) comes out in January and is all about being comfortable in your own skin.”

Tickets are free for students with a UK ID, $10 for UK faculty and staff and $15 for the general public, and they can be purchased at the Student Center ticket office. For more information about tonight’s event, call 257-8867 or visit the SAB Web site (http://www.uksab. org).