Don’t slip through the cracks — find your niche on campus

Column by Bryan Kennedy

Welcome back! If you’re reading this article, it most likely means one if not both of the following: One, you made it through another semester here at UK and you’re coming back for more; and two, you have already found your boring class and the one you have chosen to read the Kernel in.

The second semester of the year can mean a lot of things, especially depending on what year you are. For freshmen, you have found out that college is not so easy but are pretty close to figuring out how to handle everything.

If you’re a sophomore, like me, you are almost in the middle of your college career, hoping that something new and exciting will hopefully present itself and trying not to fall into a sophomore slump.

Juniors are likely thinking that their time is winding down and that these classes can’t pass fast enough.

And as for seniors, the lucky ones, you are starting to realize that, in about three to four months, you will be entering the real world.

I don’t have much to tell the other classes, but freshmen, here are some pointers to help you out.

I was truly ecstatic during this time last year. Not only had I gotten through my first semester of college, but I also had a 3.0 GPA and was going to be able to keep my scholarship. And if it wasn’t for good old Math 109, I might have been a lot happier.

My first piece of advice to freshmen is to keep on going and strive for the best grades you can get. That might sound a little corny, but it’s the truth. I ended last spring semester with a 3.5 GPA, just missing the Dean’s List. Looking back, I know that I could have easily done better, but for some reason I became content with my grades. I stress to you to not become content with low grades or stop working hard for even better grades.

My second advice is to get involved on campus. If you still haven’t found your niche on campus, I urge you to start looking. While the routine of going to class and going home may seem good for now, getting involved can open new doors that you never thought were possible.

It was at the end of fall semester during my freshman year that I found the Student Activities Board, which I am still involved in. SAB and the Kernel are among the things that I now cherish.

After getting involved in different organizations, I have met people I never dreamed of meeting. I have met people from different cities, states and countries; I have met professional athletes and even shook the hand of the mayor of Louisville. But if I had just sat around the dorm all day, I would have never accomplished any of the things I have done now.

I’m sure that you have heard this before you came to UK: College is the best time of your life, and you should make the best of it. I’ve heard that many times now, but it’s the truth. The next three or so years are going to be years that you hopefully will never forget, and it’s your job to make sure of that.

I don’t mean to pull a Dr. Phil on you or be an inspirational speaker like Tony Robbins, but I encourage you to make the best of your time to come. After your graduation, your time in college is up. Make sure you don’t regret anything.

Bryan Kennedy is a journalism sophomore. E-mail [email protected].