Fraternity hopes to promote unity, service in weeklong event

By Wesley Robinson

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. is blending community service and political activism activities, along with a little socializing, for its ’06 Degrees Below Zero Week.

“This isn’t a week of events just for African-American students,” said music and African-American studies senior Jeremiah Muwanga, an Alpha Phi Alpha member. “We enjoyed seeing all people at our I.M.P.A.C.T. week and look forward to that same kind of support again.”

Alpha Phi Alpha is sponsoring the weeklong event with help from other organizations to promote unity on campus.

Integrated strategic communications junior James Davidson said Alpha Phi Alpha’s main goal for the week is community service.

“We want to follow our motto: ‘First of all, servants of all, we shall transcend all,’ ” said Davidson, an Alpha Phi Alpha member.

Fraternity members will hand out hot chocolate and snacks by Patterson Office Tower from 8 to 10 a.m. today.

A collaborative forum with Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. called “Gone, But Not Forgotten” starts at 7:36 tonight in room 211 at the Student Center. The forum will look at racial issues Delta Sigma Theta has addressed, along with other stories of racial injustice, like that of the Jena 6 in Jena, La.

“Talk about it. Don’t be blindsided, and help prevent it from happening again,” said Kimber Hatton, a nursing junior and Delta Sigma Theta member. “Speak to government officials; update yourself for knowledge; help by fundraising or donating time to promote awareness.”

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and the West End Community Empowerment Project will host a community service event at the Black and Williams Center on 498 Georgetown St. at 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Nursing junior Domonique Brown said the event will help close the gap between Greeks and non-Greeks, while also assisting the community.

“The people don’t care if I have Zeta Phi Beta across my chest,” she said. “They appreciate you spending time with them and showing that you care.”

Wednesday will feature a presidential primary mock election during the Black Student Union meeting at 4:34 p.m. in Room 211 of the Student Center.

Community communications and leadership development senior Chris Harper said the goal of the event was to get the campus more socially and politically active after Super Tuesday tomorrow, when more than 20 states will hold their party nominating contests.

“The (mock) election gives students a chance to get out their opinion and give a feeling that it matters,” said Harper, an Alpha Phi Alpha member.

UK College Democrats and College Republicans will collaborate with Alpha Phi Alpha to help with participation, Harper said.

Alpha Phi Alpha members and other volunteers will host “Go to High School, Go to College” at Bryan Station High School on Thursday from 9 to 10 a.m. to encourage students to pursue higher education.

Later on Thursday, Alpha Phi Alpha will host the game show “U think U know me?” The event is modeled after the classic “Newlywed Game” and will take place at the Cats Den at 7:36 p.m.

The events switch to more of a social feel on Thursday and Friday, Muwanga said.

“We want to take a step back from the super-conscious stuff and be a group of men with a personal touch,” Muwanga said.

Finally, there will be a party called “Cold & Classy Nights” on Friday from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Fusion Lounge in downtown Lexington.