SG out of funds for campus groups

Student Government is out of money set aside to fund campus groups after approving eight Senate special projects at last night’s meeting.

Three of the projects accepted amendments to lower the amount of the requests, and the Senate approved $10,608 overall — several hundred more than what the committee had available.

According to a summary by Appropriations and Revenue Chairman Kevin Parrott, there was $9,995 available for projects, but there is a 90 percent usage rate of the allocated funds, which means there might be some money returned to the fund if it is not used, which would result in more money available for projects.

Amendments lowered the initial funds requested by over $2,000. Parrott said he thought the Senate did a good job in appropriating the money last night.

“I was worried it would be difficult,” Parrott said. “People realized the situation we are in and were accommodating.”

After last night’s Senate approval of the projects, there is no available money to fund student organizations or special projects. The A&R committee will meet to discuss what to do with new funding applications, Parrott said.

“We have a vision but logistically there are concerns,” Parrott said. “I think we will end up having money left, but it’s impossible to tell when.”

Senate President Tyler Montell said the situation was difficult because it is relatively early in the year to be low on funds for A&R.

“We had this problem so early because (SG) has been good with communication and good with visibility so more organizations have come to us for money,” Montell said.

Although it was difficult for senators to lower the requested funding for their campus projects, Montell said this could be a good opportunity for future A&R members to learn.

“It’s frustrating for senators to have to say no (to organizations),” he said. “But it’s a good experience for senators who will be back next year to know they have to look closely at every dollar.”

The meeting opened with an address from Provost Kumble Subbaswamy. Senators had a question-and-answer session with the provost and discussed the Top 20 Business Plan, state budget cuts and retention initiatives. Subbaswamy encouraged SG members to keep up their efforts of campaigning state legislators to pass as much funding toward higher education as possible.

“People tend to think that by tightening your belt everything’s going to be alright,” Subbaswamy said. “But as the cuts increase it gets to be absolutely unmanageable. Any kind of campaign (students) can have is going to be effective. It’s much more effective coming from voters than it is from university presidents.”