Greeks to host forum for lone prez campaign

It won’t be a debate, but students will have the opportunity to have questions answered by Tyler Montell, the sole candidate for Student Government president, and his running mate Grant Mills.

The Greek Political Action Committee is holding their annual forum tonight at 7 in the Worsham Theater in the Student Center. The event is usually a debate between candidates where the committee endorses a candidate afterward. Since Montell is the only presidential candidate, the event will serve more as a question and answer forum, said Kevin Meadows, who will moderate.

“Montell will speak first — he will explain his platform issues and field about seven questions,” Meadows said. “Mills will be asked about four questions.”

All Greek organizations were asked to submit questions for the candidates. Meadows said some questions will be specific to Greeks and others will concern the entire campus.

“There will be questions about how (the candidates) will help the Greek community, how they will help bring about diversity and other issues important to UK students,” Meadows said.

Each Greek organization is asked to send two delegates to the forum, Meadows said, and at the end they will vote whether or not to endorse Montell and Mills.

Out of the past 19 SG presidential winners, 18 were endorsed by GPAC. And though there is only one candidate this year, Meadows said it is still important to discuss the issues.

“This is probably the best time to get informed about the candidates,” he said. “It is a time for (students) to come out and actually hear the candidates speak.”

All students are encouraged to attend, Meadows said, but the event mainly aims to familiarize Greek students with the candidates and their platforms.

“We want (Greeks) to really get out there and meet the candidates,” he said. “We want them to get the information and knowledge on who to vote for.”

There will probably be a senator-at-large and college senator candidates in attendance, Meadows said, but they won’t be participating in the forum.

According to election rules, candidates for senate can start campaigning, hanging up posters and passing out promotional material Sunday at noon.

The election will take place Wednesday and Thursday of next week. This is the first year online voting will be allowed from any computer in a spring election.

Online polls will open Wednesday at 9 a.m. and will not close until Thursday at 6 p.m. The on-campus voting sites will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday.