Handicapping seminar to offer betting tips

By Laura Pepper

Horse racing can seem simple to the naked eye. The horses race from the gate in a frantic two-minute dash in an attempt to cross the finish line first.

But it’s what goes on at the betting window that can leave even the wisest of race fans scratching their heads. With bets ranging anywhere from the typical $2 bet on a horse to win, to placing a $1 trifecta, betting on races can seem like a calculus test to some inexperienced college students.

The UK Horse Racing Club will try to simplify some betting intricacies tonight at 7 at “Betting for Beginners,” a betting seminar, before students head off to the racetrack tomorrow for Keeneland’s opening day of the spring meet. Free food will be served at 7 p.m. in the W.T. Young Library gallery, and the seminar will start at 7:30 p.m.

Sean Feld, an agricultural economics junior, will lead the seminar, which will give students the inside scoop on the art of handicapping. Numerous topics will be covered, including how to pick a winner, an explanation and overview of the different types of wagers, and how to read a racing form.

“Students can learn about horse racing and learn how to make some money in April,” said Shannon Frame, the club’s president. “It will be fun and interesting.”

Because Keeneland opens its spring meet tomorrow, the club is hoping the seminar will be the perfect thing to get students more involved when they go to the track. Attendees will also have a chance to win free Keeneland passes for the spring meet.

“We thought it would be fun,” Frame said. “It’s different than what we usually do. With Keeneland coming up and because a lot of college students go to Keeneland, we thought it would be a good way to generate interest in the club and Keeneland as well.”

Feld was selected to lead the seminar because he has been around horse racing his whole life, is very knowledgeable about the industry and has a lot of experience in wagering, Frame said.

Feld’s uncle owns a farm in Versailles, and his dad is a bloodstock agent. They are a part of Bongo Racing Stables. Along with agricultural economics senior Billy Ajello, Feld is selling shares in his horse Kentuckysoldierboy.

For information on how to buy shares, visit the stable’s Web site (www.bongoracing.com) or e-mail Feld at [email protected]