Program for ‘at-risk’ students causes concern

I have serious doubts about the university’s new “Students of Concern” program. To begin with, the program sounds a lot like university-sponsored spying, in which professors will turn students in for skipping class, and roommates will tattle on each other for drinking too often or for being too busy studying to shower.

While it is true that there are “at-risk” students on campus and while these students often do need assistance, this program is not the proper method for finding those students and assisting them.

Last year, I would have been considered an “at-risk” student. I was dealing with personal problems, relationship problems and even some financial issues. I went to the Counseling and Testing Center, and they didn’t help me. I went to the Financial Aid office, and they handed me some loan paperwork and sent me on my way. I went to my professors and even to a local minister, and said “I’m having a really tough time.” No one stepped up to help me.

Before the university starts using students, faculty and staff as spies to compile a list of “at-risk” students, there needs to be a thorough evaluation of the services that can be provided to these students. There are at risk students on this campus. And I assure you, if this new team steps in and offers to help and then fails to do so, those students will be far worse off than they were to begin with.

Erin Hune Glover

Secondary English education senior

Recognize the father’s role in abortion debate

I am writing in response to the ongoing abortion debate. I think one issue that is overlooked in this whole debate is the role of the father in the scenario. It is unfair to make it just a woman’s choice to whether keep or abort a child. What about the father’s rights?

Look at this in another way. For instance, the law requires child support from the father. If the father wants nothing to do with his child, he must still pay child support (which is the right thing to do). Even though the father does not want the child, the law says he must still pay his part for the child; he must take responsibility for having the child with that woman.

But imagine if the roles were reversed: The mother wants nothing to do with the child, but father wants the child and has every intention of raising that child, the mother can still choose to abort her baby. And the father is stuck with not having a voice.

It is sad that the mother doesn’t have to take responsibility of her choices. It was her choice to have sex, so she must take the responsibilities of her actions. The father should have every right to that child as the mother.

Caleb Payne

Secondary education senior