Lexington Obama office looks for

By Alle Rorie

The second Barack Obama campaign headquarters in Kentucky opened yesterday in Lexington, encouraging UK students and other residents to join the Illinois senator’s presidential campaign.

“It’s important to make sure people who are on the ground, particularly groups such as Students for Obama, have a place locally to plug into,” said Carolyn Tandy, state director for Obama’s campaign. “We don’t want to just have a headquarters in Louisville; every place in Kentucky is important to us, particularly on campus.”

Between now and April 21, the voter registration deadline to vote in Kentucky’s May 20 primary election, Obama campaigners will be registering students to vote on campus, the Student Center acting as the hub of the campaign efforts, she said.

“Our Students for Obama chapter has been very, very active here in Lexington. It’s probably one of the most active in the state,” Tandy said. “We are just so excited to have a presence in Lexington.”

Volunteers can sign up for phone banking and precinct walks at the new campaign headquarter location, 125 E. Reynolds Rd., Suite 115.

“Sen. Obama is committed to building a strong organization in the state of Kentucky, and we want to make sure supporters have a chance to volunteer in their communities,” said Obama campaign spokeswoman Shannon Gilson, “and that includes Lexington.”

Like the Louisville location that opened in March, satellite offices will soon exist throughout the city, along with additional headquarters statewide.

“We plan on opening offices everywhere from Paducah to Pikeville,” Tandy said.

Additional headquarters will open later this year in Bowling Green, Northern Kentucky, Paducah and Eastern Kentucky, Tandy said.

For more information about the Obama campaign headquarters in Lexington, call (859) 971-1271.