UK grad student can help students reach Frankfort

Earlier this summer the UK Board of Trustees set the budget for the 2008-09 school year and raised tuition by 9 percent. For many students this is old news and for many, the question of what can be done might be running through their minds.

Last week the Kernel reported that Gov. Steve Beshear appointed UK graduate student Chris Crumrine to the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education.

Crumrine, the 2007-08 Student Government chief of staff, is essentially a UK student’s (and students across the state) direct line to the CPE in Frankfort.

For those unsure of what the CPE is, the council, among other things, monitors and approves tuition rates at public postsecondary institutions and produces and submits a biennial budget request for public funding of postsecondary education. In wake of the budget cuts seen across the state, this year the council will be focusing on keeping tuition affordable for students.

This year, more than ever, it will be imperative for students to inform the council on their opinions, comments and suggestions regarding the consistent rise in tuition.

The reality of the situation is, tuition will keep rising. According to last week’s article in the Kernel, it will be the CPE’s focus this year to develop a system for determining future tuition rates.

UK students have a unique advantage over many students in the state because the student member of the CPE is currently a student at this university.

Crumrine is on campus and aware of the situation many UK students are facing. He is accessible to students via the online directory on UK’s Web site, (www.uky.edu) or other online social networks. Students can also contact Student Government and their college senators at the SG Web site, (www.uksga.org) to stay in contact with Crumrine and other officials in Frankfort. By going through SG or directly to Crumrine, students can voice their opinion.

He is an excellent resource for students and should be utilized throughout the year.

In addition to Crumrine, students should never hesitate to contact the CPE. This year more than ever tuition increases should be a top priority for students, and making their voices heard through letters, phone calls and messages is a must.

Students can contact the CPE at (502) 573-1555 or at their mailing address:

Council on Postsecondary Education, 1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort, Ky. 40601. More information about the council is available on the CPE Web site, (http://cpe.ky.gov).