5191 crash victims families aim to ‘give back’ at memorial

By Laura Clark

Two years ago the crash of Comair Flight 5191 shook Lexington to its core.

Lexington community is invited to attend a public memorial service at Transylvania University Wednesday night for 49 passengers who died in the crash. The service begins at 7 p.m. in the Mitchell Fine Arts Center.

“Our theme for this year’s memorial service is ‘giving back,’ ” said Lois Turner, widow of crash victim Larry W. Turner, associate dean of agricultural extension at UK. Lois Turner is a member of the committee who organizes the crash memorials. “The community support over the past two years has been tremendous, so in addition to remembering loved ones, we want to show in some small way the appreciation we have for all the community has done for us.”

Since the tragedy at Bluegrass International Airport, the 5191 Care Fund Advisory Committee has organized all of the events and memorial services for the crash. The committee includes representatives from Hospice of the Bluegrass, Mayor Jim Newberry’s office, United Way of the Bluegrass, the Lexington Fire Department and Bluegrass International Airport.

The service will include music from First United Methodist Church, Pleasant Green Baptist Church and Transylvania student Beth Arnold.

Matthew Snoddy, son of crash victim Tim Snoddy, Kyra Frederick, widow of crash victim Bart Frederick, Mayor Jim Newberry and Transylvania President Charles Shearer are among the scheduled speakers.

Clay Turner, son of Larry Turner and a student at Transylvania University, will introduce Shearer at the service. Shearer said he is honored to be hosting the event at the school.

“The university’s location is very appropriate for the service,” Shearer said. “Transylvania is at the center of Lexington, and this tragedy struck the very heart of the city.”