Full House: UK sells out student tickets

Nobody knows what the 2008 UK football season holds, but one thing is for sure — Commonwealth Stadium will likely be packed.

For the first time in school history, student season tickets have been sold out.

“It’s been a great vibe from the students so far this year,” said Joe Sharpe, assistant athletic director of tickets. “You have to give all the credit to the student body in their effort to show support for the football team.”

The record-breaking sales came as a bit of a surprise to Sharpe. Despite back-to-back 8-5 seasons, he said the office didn’t expect to sell out, much less sell out this quickly. But students started to snatch up tickets so fast that the office was forced to stop selling to large groups on Friday.

“We wanted to give everyone a fair shot at a first-come, first-serve basis,” Sharpe said. “If we would have kept going with the group sales there would have been nearly no available student tickets.”

This wave of ticket sales comes despite what many perceive as a mediocre home schedule.

After hosting high-profile opponents such as Louisville, Tennessee, Florida and top-ranked Louisiana State in 2007, the Cats’ most notable games this season are Georgia, South Carolina and Arkansas.

“With those big names not being on the schedule this year it just goes to show you how great of support UK fans have,” Sharpe said.

Students will still have a chance to watch the Cats play for a third consecutive bowl appearance despite the sellout of season tickets. There will be three distribution dates for single game tickets, with the first one being held Wednesday.

The first distribution will feature UK’s first three home games against Norfolk State, Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky.