Student code should stay within campus

Kernel Editorial Board

In the eyes of UK students, it doesn’t seem Third District Councilwoman Diane Lawless can do anything right.

First it was the regulations to off-campus residences, in which the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council wanted to enforce a four-person limit to student housing. (Student Government and city officials eventually came to a compromise to allow a maximum of six students per off-campus residence.)

Now, in an e-mail to Associate Dean of Students Tony Blanton, Lawless said she’s shocked there is no mention of off-campus complaints against students in the UK Student Code of Conduct, according to an April 9 Kernel article.

But why is this so shocking? The university population is comprised of adults (in the legal sense, anyway) and UK should not be expected to be responsible for any action its students outside of campus’ boundaries.

This is an institution of higher learning, not a daycare. Lawless doesn’t seem to realize that.

“What is most concerning is (Lawless) is attempting to put forward a proposal that polices students off campus,” SG President Ryan Smith said. “That’s what the police department is for. It’s interesting that she represents our district yet never talked to us about this.”

Like Smith said, Lawless has seemingly forgot she is the third district representative, and a majority of her constituents are students. But then again, why would she care what the students think? A large portion of them don’t change their address to vote in Lexington when they move here for the school year.

Lawless did just enough convincing and blew just enough smoke to get an endorsement by the Kernel Editorial Board and to eventually get elected. She tricked those students who do care and vote into believing she was on their side. But everything she’s tried to do since being elected is contradictory to that.

With more and more ridiculous regulations against students coming from Lawless, students are less likely to stay in Lexington after graduation. And bright, young talent is the last thing Lexington should be trying to rid itself of.

Regardless, if students want a real representative in the third district, they’re going to have to take action and start voting in Lexington. Just speaking out about an issue isn’t good enough — it’s all politics.