Winter Olympics live on through UK exhibit

The torch at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada, may have gone out more than a month ago, but Tuesday, two members of the Lexington community will speak on their personal experiences with numerous Olympic games.

Tom Hammond, a member of the UK Journalism Hall of Fame and sportscaster for the 2010 Olympics, and Jack P. Kelly, Olympic memorabilia collector who was the CEO of Olympic festivals in Houston and Minneapolis, will be at the Winter Olympic exhibit Tuesday to interact with the campus community.

Kelly owns the Olympics exhibit currently on display in the Margaret I. King Library, and he will tell stories of the artifacts, which include an Olympic torch, said Deirdre Scaggs, director of the Archives Department of Special Collections and Digital Programs.

“I think that the 2002 torch that we have is really cool,” Scaggs said.

Scaggs said Kelly had done other similar discussions like Tuesday’s in the past, so UK Libraries thought it would be a good opportunity for the campus community to hear firsthand Olympic experiences.

“We are trying to do more things now that reach the student population and just the community in general to make ourselves more open and accessible to the public,” Scaggs said.

Hammond will focus on his experience as a figure skating sportscaster at the 2010 Winter Olympics, Scaggs said.

Hammond talks of his experiences on UK’s YouTube “In His Own Words” video.

“When I started out, I didn’t really know much about it [figure skating],” Hammond said in the video.

Hammond said no other sport takes more pressure than Olympic figure skating, particularly ladies’.

“And I’ve seen the pressure get to some of the best skaters in the world,” he said.

Hammond said when it comes to the pinnacle of broadcasters’ careers, the Olympics is one of the top events to cover.

“The Olympics have to be right there, because it is something that the whole world takes notice of, it’s not just something that occurs on a weekend or in some college campus,” Hammond said. “The whole world is engaged. … It in many ways is what the sport is supposed to be like when the whole world comes together in a peaceful way.”

Scaggs said Tuesday’s event will be entertaining and educational, and those attending will learn about experiences during the past winter Olympics.

The exhibit, currently on display, includes Olympic tickets, programs, posters and medals, according to a UK news release.

The event begins at 3 p.m. Tuesday in the King Library and is free and open to the public.