Open auditions for student play festival

By Colin Walsh

School is back in session. For many students, that means hitting the books.  But several people in the theater department are hoping some students hit the stage as well.

Auditions for the UK Theatre Department’s Student Play Festival begin Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Briggs Theatre, located in room 127 of the Fine Arts Building. Any and all UK students are encouraged to try out. Students are also encouraged to show up early to fill out a contact and audition sheet.

All seven plays were written by current theater students or recent graduates, which is an improvement over last year’s “One Act Festival,” which had only three student written plays.

Lindsay Warnick, the production stage manager for the festival, is enthusiastic, and hopes the festival draws members of the large incoming freshmen class.

Warnick said the festival “is a great opening to our season.”

“It’s a great way to get all of the students involved, especially the freshmen. All of the plays are great and it will be a lot of fun.”

After auditions, the directors will meet and discuss callbacks, which will occur later in the evening. Following the callbacks, rehearsals will then move to separate rooms. Time between the auditions and opening nights of the plays themselves is short; the first performance is Sept. 9.

The subject matter of the plays vary and explore interesting or relevant topics: “The Dance” is a romantic comedy about a college student struggling with her virginity and desires, and “My Name is Felstrom” explores the dynamic and addictive world of online gaming.

Plays also vary in length from an hour, to a mere three pages. The initial auditions will be cold readings of the scripts.

“We have a  wide variety of work,” said Allyson Smith, senior theater major and writer of “The Dance,”. “But they are all really well written and very well developed.”

Smith, is excited for the opportunity to show off her work.

“It was really fun for me to write,” Smith said. “I’m really excited for the new cast and I love to see how people interpret my work.”

Colin Walsh is a journalism and English senior. E-mail [email protected].

School is back in session. For many students, that means hitting the books.  But several people in the theater department are hoping some students hit the stage as well.Auditions for the UK Theatre Department’s Student Play Festival begin Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Briggs Theatre, located in room 127 of the Fine Arts Building. Any and all UK students are encouraged to try out. Students are also encouraged to show up early to fill out a contact and audition sheet.All seven plays were written by current theater students or recent graduates, which is an improvement over last year’s “One Act Festival,” which had only three student written plays.Lindsay Warnick, the production stage manager for the festival, is enthusiastic, and hopes the festival draws members of the large incoming freshmen class.Warnick said the festival “is a great opening to our season.”“It’s a great way to get all of the students involved, especially the freshmen. All of the plays are great and it will be a lot of fun.”After auditions, the directors will meet and discuss callbacks, which will occur later in the evening. Following the callbacks, rehearsals will then move to separate rooms. Time between the auditions and opening nights of the plays themselves is short; the first performance is Sept. 9.The subject matter of the plays vary and explore interesting or relevant topics: “The Dance” is a romantic comedy about a college student struggling with her virginity and desires, and “My Name is Felstrom” explores the dynamic and addictive world of online gaming. Plays also vary in length from an hour, to a mere three pages. The initial auditions will be cold readings of the scripts.“We have a  wide variety of work,” said Allyson Smith, senior theater major and writer of “The Dance,”. “But they are all really well written and very well developed.”Smith, is excited for the opportunity to show off her work.“It was really fun for me to write,” Smith said. “I’m really excited for the new cast and I love to see how people interpret my work.”Colin Walsh is a journalism and English senior. E-mail [email protected].