Flu shots available for UK students

By Mazie Purcell

UK students, faculty and staff can get flu shots on campus this week.

UK Health Clinic nurses began giving shots Sept. 28 and will continue to give them until Oct. 5.

Wednesday the shots will be given from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the White Hall Classroom Building. The cost is $10 for UK and Bluegrass Community and Technical College students and $20 for employees.

Jitana Benton-Lee, the patient care facilitator of UKHC and the coordinator of flu shots on campus this year, said the shot will offer protection against the H1N1 strain and two other viruses.

H1N1 broke out on campus last year, affecting numerous students and the UK community.

According to a spring Kernel article, more than 1,200 vaccinations were given out at the first H1N1 walk-in clinic.

The flu, which targets young adults, was more deleterious than it had been in recent years. Yet, students are not necessarily convinced to get the shot now.

“Last year I got the flu shot because of the H1N1 epidemic. This year, I’m glad they are offering the shot, but I’m not concerned about getting it yet,” said Kelsey Giurgevich, a psychology sophomore.

Benton-Lee said people at a high risk — those with immunity issues, asthma or any respiratory complications — need the shot.

“It is important to get the influenza shot yearly because the strands of the virus can mutate and change,” Benton-Lee said. “You want to get what is recommended and most prevalent for this season.”

Flu shots will be available Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in White Hall Classroom Building, Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in White Hall, Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Kentucky Clinic, Monday from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. in the Kentucky Clinic and Tuesday from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the William T. Young Library.