Students gamble for a good cause at Casino Night

by Erin Shea

­­Think you’re a black jack or Texas hold’em champ? Kappa Sigma Fraternity and Alpha Phi Sorority are sponsoring a  casino-themed evening Thursday at The Campbell House. All proceeds benefit Court Appointed Special Advocates of Lexington.

The event will offer gambling, live music, food and drinks. Games will include blackjack, non-tournament Texas hold’em, poker, dice, roulette and craps, said Taylor Pierce, member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity and the main coordinator of the event. All games will be played with chips purchased at the event and later used for full cash payout.

Organizers hope Casino Night will not only offer a fun night of music and games, but also benefit CASA of Lexington, a non-profit organization. According to CASA of Lexington’s website, CASA’s mission is to provide child victims of abuse or neglect with a trained, supervised volunteer who will advocate for the child’s best interests.  These advocates focus solely on what is best for the children by becoming a stable, responsible figure in their lives, unlike lawyers and social workers who are required to take the family into consideration as well, the website says.

“As members of the Lexington Community, it is our responsibility to see that children are raised in safe homes with a positive environment and given every opportunity to succeed,” Pierce said.

Alyce Caraccio, co-coordinator  of the event and member of Alpha Phi Sorority, encouraged students to attend and said the event “is a chance for people to come together with friends and help CASA help these kids. All you have to do is show up and take a chance at the blackjack table.”

Piece said this year 500-700 people are expected to attend. Although organizers say last year’s event was successful, the goal this year is to raise more money.  The event is open to the  public and is not limited to greek students or UK students.

“The event will be an entertaining experience, where guests can gamble or relax and enjoy themselves, all while contributing to a great program that protects our community’s children,” Pierce said.

The event costs $5 with any student ID and $10 without an ID. It starts at 7 p.m. and lasts until midnight. There will be food, drinks and a cash bar. A shuttle service to and from UK’s campus will be provided. The event is supported by the UK Student Government.