Mossakowski transferring from UK

Redshirt freshman quarterback Ryan Mossakowski will be leaving the UK football program and transferring to another school.

UK Athletics spokesman Tony Neely confirmed the news Monday night.

Lexington TV stations WKYT and WLEX also received confirmation of Mossakowski’s desire to transfer from the young quarterback and his father.

Mossakowski, a highly touted recruit coming out of Centennial High School (Frisco, Texas), never managed to see much playing time during his career at UK — the main reason he wanted to transfer.

In his first year on campus, Mossakowski redshirted the campaign while recovering from shoulder surgery.

This season, Mossakowski was listed as tied for the No. 2 quarterback spot on the depth chart with sophomore Morgan Newton, but saw limited action throughout the season taking a few snaps in clean-up duty without recording a pass.

When senior quarterback Mike Hartline was suspended in December, Newton was named UK’s starter for the Cats’ in the BBVA Compass Bowl, and Mossakowski did not see any action in UK’s 27-10 loss to Pittsburgh in the bowl game.

After the bowl game, UK head coach Joker Phillips said the quarterback competition was once again open heading into spring football, with Newton and Mossakowski the primary candidates for the starter’s role.

Mossakowski, a dual-sport athlete in high school, was also expected to play baseball for UK this spring.