A ‘Night on Broadway’ gives underclassmen a voice

The UK Chorister’s third annual “Night On Broadway” didn’t showcase fantastic costumes or elaborate sets; just vocal talent and a lot of nerve.

The event was the collaborative effort the UK Choristers, the Student Center and UK Dining Services. Audience members sat at tables and sipped on “Mock Martinis” and ate “Mary Poppins’ Parasol Parfaits” and croquembouches while the performers wearing black outfits sang from a minimalistic black stage.

And sing they did.

The vocal line-up included songs from old favorites like “Mary Poppins” and “My Fair Lady,” but also some productions that may have been new to the audience like “Avenue Q” and “The Full Monty.”

“We have the tendency to pick things that are recent,” UK Choristers co-director Brock Terry said. “We wanted to make sure we covered the gamut of showtunes.”

The Choristers took on some ambitious pieces, tackling the vocally demanding soprano solo “Till There Was You” from the Music Man and emotional “Home” from The Wiz. Some of the pieces also required character acting, such as “Little Known Facts” from You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, “Friendship” from DuBarry Was a Lady and “What’s Wrong With Me?” from Singin’ in the Rain.

A Night on Broadway is a special event for the Choristers, the oldest performance group at UK.

“It’s just theirs,” Director Sammy Miller said. “This is their chance to get out and sing and sing solos.”

Miller said most of the choristers are sophomores or freshman who were “big fish” at their high schools before coming to UK, a much “bigger pond.” He said the event gives them a chance to feel special.

Terry echoed his sentiment.

“These kids were the ones who had the leads in their high school,” Terry said. “It gives them a place and a chance to find their niche.”