Campus goes purple for American Cancer Society, Relay for Life

By Kortez Wilson

The American Cancer Society Relay for Life has been calling for UK community members to join the society and its signature event.

UK’s Relay for Life Paint the Campus Purple Registration Blitz Week started Monday and ends Friday.

“We are looking to register as many teams as possible in the following weeks,” Bethany McClintock, UK corporate sponsorship chair, said in an email to the Kernel. “The more student organizations that we get involved on campus, the better the event that we can have.”

Relay for Life will take place on April 21, 2012. Until that time, teams with at least two people can raise money in various ways to support research studies funded by the American Cancer Society.

“It gives not only students, but anyone who is a part of the UK community, including faculty, parents and alumni, a chance to fight back against all cancers,” said Alana Baker, UK’s American Cancer Society representative.

For 2011, it is estimated that 822,300 men and 774,370 women will be diagnosed with cancer, according to the cancer society’s website.

Currently the society funds 220 research studies in hopes of finding a cure to eliminate the disease, Kathryn Garrett, UK’s Relay for Life co-director, said.

“As college students, it is the least we can do,” Garrett said. “For most of us, we often forget how blessed and lucky we are to be healthy.”

During the Paint the Campus Purple week, the organization hopes to get as many teams to join as possible. Garrett said she wanted people to know that the American Cancer Society not only funds research studies, but also funds various programs.

The Hope Lodge is one program on UK’s campus funded by the American Cancer Society.

“The Hope Lodge houses cancer patients and one family member, free of charge, while the patient receives treatment in Lexington,”

Garrett said. Ryan Studer, a sociology sophomore, said he and his parents participate regularly in Relay for Life back home.

“It gives my family and I a sense of value and self-fulfillment to know that our contribution is helping some man, woman or child in need of help,” he said.

The Blitz Week ends Friday; however, teams still can form and raise money for the cause.

McClintock said the event will have a disc jockey, multiple food vendors with free samples and free giveaways. For more information, visit relayforlife.org.