Event to familiarize students with community service opportunities

By Corey Elam

For university students who are not yet familiar with the Center for Community Outreach, or the Center for Student Involvement as a whole, Wednesday’s Make-A-Difference night will be an opportunity to learn.

Students will work together completing mini community projects that pertain to each of the 12 branches of the Center for Community Outreach.

“For the ‘Great Outdoors’ branch, for example, we’re potting flowers and donating them to a local nursing home,” said Brad O’Neal, an international studies and Spanish major who is head volunteer of Wednesday night’s event. “For our Alternative Studies project, we will be making translation flashcards for students in Brazil to use when studying English.”

Though small in scale, O’Neal is confident the group will show students how these projects, and community service in general, can greatly improve the quality of life on and off campus.

Along with these fun-sized service projects, free food and drinks will be included at the event.

The event is 5:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday in Student Center room 106. For more information on this or any Center for Community Outreach event, email Brad O’Neal at [email protected] or go to GetInvolved.uky.edu/cco for more information.