Professor honored statewide: Instructor named one of Ky.’s best

By Ryan Winstead

Jonathan Golding, a psychology professor, has been selected as Kentucky’s 2011 Professor of the Year.

Golding is only the third professor at UK to be awarded the honor.

Each year, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education and the Carnegie Foundation work together to choose outstanding undergraduate professors from each state in the nation.

“The standard is really high for the award. It’s nice to see a deserving professor receive it,” Richard Milich, interim chair of psychology, said.

Golding is the first professor working in the College of Arts and Sciences to be selected for the award, and also has been the top professor in the college for some time, Milich said.

Golding said he was happy he won.

“I was honored … and taken aback,” he said.

Professors are not only chosen for their excellence in teaching, but also because they have positively influenced the lives and careers of students, according to the program’s website.

Golding does “more than just teaching,” Milich said. He noted Golding’s history in UK’s Honors Program and work as an endowed Chellgren professor.

“I try to make my class fun — they’re big classes,” Golding said. “I’m very passionate about my teaching.”

Golding hopes that this award will draw attention to UK’s undergraduate program.

“It’s important that people know that not just graduate programs are important at UK,” he said.

Golding was congratulated by Rep. Ben Chandler for the award, an event Golding said he hoped, “would gather some attention for UK’s undergrad studies.”

Golding spoke highly of UK’s research program and its ability to help students obtain experience in the field.

As a professor, he said it’s “great to work with students individually. Research is a big deal at UK.”