Theta Chi gets official campus chapter

By Ryan Winstead

In the 2011 spring semester, Brandon Loschiavo set out to start a new chapter of Theta Chi at UK.

After consulting the organization’s national headquarters, Loschiavo formed a Theta Chi interest group to get the new chapter on its feet.

Nearly a year has passed since its inception, and Loschiavo’s dreams have finally been realized.

Theta Chi became an official UK fraternity last semester — an achievement that has allowed the chapter to begin “functioning like a normal fraternity,” Loschiavo said.

But being “normal” is exactly what the founding members are working to combat.

“We didn’t find what we were looking for in Greek life as freshmen, so we looked to start our own,” Loschiavo, a sophomore, said. “We don’t want to be stereotypical fraternity guys.”

Philanthropy Chair Cameron Sallee, a freshman, agreed.

“We wanted to make something good, and not be stereotyped,” he said.

As an official fraternity, Theta Chi has already made plans for growth in the upcoming semester.

“We want to show everyone we’re here to be competitive,” Rob Watson, a sophomore and Theta Chi vice president, said. “We’re setting the bar high for ourselves.”

Patrick Tancula, a sophomore and soon-to-be president of the fraternity, listed a few of the upcoming philanthropy and social events for the fraternity.

“We send guys to the Ronald McDonald House every Sunday, and we’re definitely competing in Dance Blue,” he said.

Sallee expounded on the list, including their involvement in Greek Sing, another meeting at B.D’s Mongolian Grill and Pie Theta Chi.

Sallee also said he is planning a philanthropic event that will be an annual tradition.

Theta Chi currently has 49 members, Tancula said, and had the third highest GPA among fraternities last semester.

The fraternity is “geared toward helping the community with less focus on pure social events,” Sallee said.

Theta Chi is striving to achieve a positive reputation at both UK and in the community.

“We want people to know that we’re here to help others and not just ourselves,” Loschiavo said. “We have the good guy rep, and we like it.”