Money, profs are key in music recruiting

By Erin Grigson

When people talk of recruitment, many times they references sports. However, recruitment is an important tool in the music world as it is in athletics.

A majority of students say money (in the form of scholarships) is a major reason they chose their institution.

“After my first audition, I was invited back to audition for the Lewis Award,” said Kelsey Moorhouse, a percussion performance sophomore. “This is the School of Music’s most prestigious scholarship and goes to one freshman each year. It carries full tuition plus a $2,500 stipend per year for four years. I feel incredibly fortunate to have won this award.”

The question then becomes: “Where do I go if more than one college offers the same amount in scholarships?”

Moorehouse, like many from Kentucky, said location is a large part of their choice, but there are more important factors.

Most students say that the reputation of the recruiting professor is the second-most important part of choosing their college, said Raechel White, a music education sophomore.

Those students who were influenced by their professors’ reputations listened to past and current students. Also, they use their time from private lessons, auditions, concert attendance or all of the above to determine whether it will be a good student-professor relationship, White said.

“I really loved Nancy (Clauter) and I wanted to have a professor I really got along well with,” White said. “Also it was a great distance from home.”

White, as well as Taylor Nicholson, a music education junior, was influenced by the reputations of their respective professors.

“I was introduced to professors and sat in on the horn master class and heard some great horn players perform,” Nicholson said. “The studio was very nice and very helpful to me. They were encouraging. I was then given a personal tour of Fine Arts and the Lucille Little Fine Arts Library. After all that, I had a lesson with Professor David Elliott, and I knew that UK was the place for me.”

Eric Millard, a trumpet performance junior, said that his professor came all the way to Pennsylvania to visit with him and actually did the audition there as well.

Millard also said that multiple visits and other means of contact prior to the audition greatly influenced his final decision.

“The scholarship was definitely important, it pays for most of my tuition and makes things a lot easier,” said Ben Southworth, a music education freshmen. “If I had to say, I would have come to UK regardless of scholarships, just because of the music program.”