Questions for Student Government candidates

To Staples/Wimberly:

DanceBlue is a very influential event on campus that student government has significantly contributed to financially in the past. Will you continue to allocate a certain amount to the marathon or do you feel there is better use for that money?

To Bilas/Kington:

What’s the difference between your teacher accountability program and ratemyprofessor.com?

To both:

I am currently one of the coordinators of the College of Arts and Sciences Ambassadors. In two years with the program, we have seen our senators one time — at the end of last school year. This year, I was in contact with SG for about a month before learning that A & S had no senators! If elected, how will you ensure that your college senators are representing their college, as opposed to personal affiliations?

To Staples/Wimberly:

By allowing students the ability to use a $300 loan on things such as spring break, how can you be sure you are not endorsing underage drinking, use of drugs and other illegal activities? How would you regulate spending?

To Bilas/Kington:

How do you plan to increase military support in its time of need? (ROTC)

To Staples/Wimberly:

If financial circumstances require budget cuts, what would you first eliminate from SG’s budget?

To Staples/Wimberly:

Why do you think it is appropriate, through your platform for a new LDP, to force a group of staff on an administration that had no hand in picking them, and a group of students that has not proven themselves besides being chosen for their merits from high school at the beginning of their freshman year?

To both:

In regards to the $600,000 budget, is it true that if you don’t use it, you lose it?

To Staples/Wimberly:

Is it really realistic to buy books for all 100 level classes? How many books would you buy for a class of 200 kids?

Staples/Wimberly:

Without knowing the current Kentucky legislation which applies to UK, how are you going to effectively represent the student body?

To both:

You both touched on improving the experience of the unmotivated/average college student. How would you reach out and develop programs to get these students involved?

Staples/Wimberly:

You are saying that the money we students are paying in student fees will potentially go to someone who “can’t afford” to go on spring break without it?

To Staples/Wimberly:

How are you going to prevent a large cash loss when you establish these “interest-free” loans?

To both:

How do your current positions make you the most qualified candidates for the positions you are seeking?

To Staples/Wimberly:

The current economic crisis is due in large part to banks giving out bad loans. Would it not be irresponsible to give out loans for students to blow on spring break? How would you decide who or who not to give money too?