Graeter’s opens on Euclid Avenue

By  Amber Fields

Graeter’s re-opened its doors at a new location in Lexington on March 30, ready to serve up its many flavors of ice cream.

Although Graeter’s is just in its prime early business days of operation, Dave McKinley, director of marketing, said that the business so far has been “awesome and a great welcoming back.”

“Business has been overwhelmingly wonderful,” McKinley said as the line of customers continued to snake around the store back to the door.

The new location on Euclid Avenue in Chevy Chase Plaza has attracted more than just families.

Many students are taking advantage of the new location nestled closely to campus.

“I’m glad Graeter’s chose the Euclid area for its return to Lexington,” Tom Hartung, psychology sophomore, said. “There will be a lot of people around UK’s campus and Chevy Chase that I’m sure don’t mind getting ice cream within walking distance.”

McKinley said that the location is a great spot with the walking traffic from other surrounding businesses in the area.

Walking distance, ice cream and a quality time with friends makes for a getaway for many overwhelmed students leading into finals, but there is one more perk that can lure students into the doors of Graeter’s. Along with many other local businesses, Graeter’s is also accepting Plus Account.

The re-opening of Graeter’s in Lexington is bringing more than just convenience of a new location closer to campus. For Alexa Bell, elementary education junior, the return of Greater’s contributed to memories of her childhood.

“Graeter’s was right beside my middle school, so my friends and I used to go there all of the time,” Bell said. “When Graeter’s closed, I felt like a piece of my childhood was gone.”

Hartung said Graeter’s opened just in time for the warmer temperatures.

“It’s nice that the classic ice cream shop is so close to campus, right in time for summer,” Hartung said.

Greater’s hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday. Free parking is available in the garage adjacent to Graeter’s.