Film Series offers free movie showings

By Nini Edwards

The Worsham Theater premieres this year’s Late Night Film Series Thursday at 10 p.m.

The series provides free movies every Thursday and Friday night, including box-office flicks and independent films.

The Late Night Film Series is a student-run organization provided for UK students.

“We aim to bring the blockbusters and the obscure national films that are just as

valuable and sought-after to students on campus,” said Zach Lamb, a film coordinator and English senior.

A real movie-theater experience is provided for any UK student, staff member or friends. Free popcorn is provided at all of the showings.

“We are offering them the high-quality movie-theater experience at the best price — for free,” Lamb said. “We offer something that no other campus organization can offer: a wide variety of film.”

The Late Night Film Series is active on Twitter and Facebook to gather what students are interested in seeing. To show their appreciation, a viewer’s choice movie will be shown in November.

“I think this year is different because we are working a lot harder than we have in the past,” said Kelly Mautz, a film coordinator and electrical engineering senior. “We try to appeal to students and what they want.”

The group is known for showing screenings before movies are out on DVD and plan to do the same for a few movies this year.

It offers a punch-card system for frequent moviegoers to get free drinks and free shirts.

“Even if students do not know what movie is playing, they should come anyway,” said Steve Pearce, a senior CATS coordinator.

“I didn’t see any movies this summer because I knew they were going to be shown at Worsham Theater.”