Social media contest winner will get Victoria’s Secret PINK tailgate

By Alexis Gray

Even though the UK football team took a loss to the University of Louisville Sunday, women on each campus have found a way to keep the heated in-state rivalry going through social media.

Beginning Aug. 27, students could vote for their university via Twitter in the Victoria’s Secret PINK Nation Tailgate Tour competition.

Students have until Friday to vote.

Twenty schools are matched against one of their biggest rivals in a competition to determine which campus wins a Victoria’s Secret PINK Nation tailgate.

The Bluegrass matchup has become among the most competitive in the contest, with both schools breaking more than 50,000 votes.

UK PINK Campus Representative Tara Dauer is excited about the competition.

“This is a test of how much we love UK, and even though we aren’t technically a football school, we still love to tailgate and show how much school spirit we have,” said Dauer, a kinesiology and exercise science senior.

Dauer explained what will happen if UK does win in its matchup against Louisville .

“If they do come, they will be parked out on the block of South Limestone and Avenue of Champions. It will be during the week a few days before game-day weekend, and it will be basically just to rally up the fans,” Dauer said. “They will bring a DJ, have tailgate games, freebies, a photo booth, and of course the PINK truck will be there as well.”

Broadcast journalism junior Katherine Emoff, who is also a Victoria’s Secret PINK representative, said she “never imagined that it would get this big,” and that “it’s great to know that the girls at Kentucky have so much school pride.”

Both of UK’s Campus representatives expressed excitement about how far both schools have come in the competition.

Since the competition’s launch, dozens of Twitter pages have been made for both schools in order to gain more votes.

Pages dedicated strictly to tweets to rally votes for both UK and U of L have kept the matchup neck-in-neck, with the lead changing hands constantly, and more votes continuing to pour in by the minute.

To vote, send a tweet to @VSPink with the hashtag #TailgateWithPink and the school name. Including Louisville’s name in the tweet will give it a vote as well.

Anyone can vote for their favorite school as many times as they like.

UK’s PINK representatives say there are still opportunities to rally up more votes before the competition ends.