Missed opportunities not enough to slow men’s soccer

Freshman forward/midfielder Jacob Scearce battles Brian Reynolds of Saint Joseph’s for the ball in the second half of UK’s 2-0 win over Saint Joseph’s in the UK Invitational on Sept. 7, 2012. Photo by Becca Clemons

By Tyler Spanyer

The Johan Cedergren era had gotten off to a rough start, but following a dominating offensive performance the Cats secured their first win of the season, 2-0, over Saint Joseph’s.

“The guys have worked really, and we are really glad to get that first win, and get it at home,” said Cedergren following the game.

UK outshot St. Joe’s by a 20-2 margin and had a 12-2 advantage on corner kicks.

It was a game of missed opportunities, though, for the Cat’s, as they created so many chances but just could not capitalize on them. Junior forward Tyler Riggs had two early opportunities including a breakaway which was stopped by St. Joe’s goalkeeper Andrew D’Ottavi. Shortly after the breakaway D’Ottavi had to stop another shot from Riggs as he got behind the defense and hit a volley right to the goalkeeper.

The second half was highlighted by the play of substitute Jacob Scearce, a freshman from Louisville, Ky.

“Coach tells me to just come in be a workhorse, get out wide and take it at them with speed.”

Scearce assisted on the first goal of the night in back-heeling a ball to fellow freshman Bryan Celis, who put the ball in the back corner.

The second goal came off the foot of  senior midfielder Charley Pettys who hit a cannon from 25 yards out that clanked against the post and off the goalkeeper Michael Moulton, who came in for D’Ottavi at halftime.

Cedergren preached about his defense after the game.

“The offense has not been the problem this year, we have a lot of guys who can work on the ball, but our defense is what has let us down. Every single session we get better and every game we improve.”

The Cats will finish off the UK Invitational Sunday at 2:30 p.m. as they face No. 4 UNC-Charlotte, who finished second in the NCAA tournament last season.