Voter registration ends Tuesday

By Chase Sanders

Tuesday is the last day to register to vote in the state of Kentucky.

Many students are geared up and ready to vote themselves.

Others will be visiting the Kentucky State Board of Elections website (elect.ky.gov) to print out their registration forms so they can vote because they don’t want to be left out of deciding with the next leaders of their city, state and country will be.

Elliott Martin, a chemistry graduate student, believes it’s important for students to register to vote and leads by example.

“I voted for the first time in the 2008 election,” Martin said.

Registering to vote gave him the opportunity to stand for what he thought was right in our government.

“You have to voice your opinion somehow,” Martin said. “If it’s important enough for you to have an opinion on, then it’s important enough to vote.”

The state of the economy and the foreign matters that are going on in the world are important topics that compel Martin to vote this year.

“I think the next four years are pivotal for our country,” he said.

He sees registering as a responsibility that is equivalent in importance to voting.

“It’s kind of an obligation. People complain about it, but it only takes ten minutes to register and vote.”

Allie Kleinhenz, a nursing junior, agrees with Martin, and she thinks anyone who is eligible to register and does not vote is making a mistake.

“If you’re not going to vote it better be for a really good reason,” Kleinhenz said.

She voted for the first time in 2008 to set precedent for herself as a voter.

“I registered freshman year because I wanted to vote in my first possible presidential election,” Kleinhenz said.

UK also played a significant role in Kleinhenz being eligible to vote on Election Day.

“I registered on campus in front of White Hall,” she said.

Kleinhenz pointed out it was a lot easier to register than she originally anticipated.

“I’m registered to vote in Lexington, but I’m from Louisville,” Kleinhenz said.

Kleinhenz encourages and challenges other students to vote and to be aware of the political topics at the forefront of the election discussion.

“I think you should register to vote. Don’t be ignorant about what’s going on around you,” she said. “We’re still young, but we need to start shaping our political beliefs now.”