SG extends deadline for state internships until Monday

By Kayla Pickrell | @KernelPickrell

Student Government’s Wildcat Interest Group has extended the deadline for spring 2013 internships with the Kentucky commissioner of agriculture, auditor of public accounts and secretary of state until 4 p.m. Monday.

The internships include a $400 stipend, and the students will work Tuesdays and Thursdays during the semester, said Wildcat Interest Group Director Nolan Jackson.

“The Student Internship Program in Frankfort allows students from all majors to engage public officials and learn the intricacies of state government,” Jackson said.

The internship also grants the opportunity for students to receive PS 399 academic credit or the equivalency within the student’s college of study.

The application is available at uksga.org and should be submitted, with a resume, to the SG office at Room 120 of the Student Center by 4 p.m.

“These positions provide opportunities in media, advertising, public policy, law and communications for any student interested in experiential internship,” Jackson said.

After the SG staff reviews the applications and selects qualified students, they will award interviews set for Nov. 7-9 from 4-6 p.m. in the Office of the President, 101 Main Building.

“The program is an exciting partnership for our students,” Jackson said.

SG also is providing a summer 2013 internship for rising 2L law students with Attorney General Jack Conway.

The internship includes a $2,200 stipend to work three days a week from mid-May to early August in the attorney general’s office in Frankfort, Jackson said.

The application is due at 4 p.m. on Nov. 30, with a resume, in Room 120 of the Student Center.

The application also is online.

“The Student Internship Program is a win-win for everyone involved,” Attorney General Jack Conway said.

“The students gain invaluable, hands-on experience, while my office benefits from the time and talent of some very gifted law students who are eager to learn about our work upholding the laws of the commonwealth and the many services we provide to families across the state.”