Faith, sororities meet on web

photo courtesy of lane of roses website Accounting sophomore Sarah Baker wrote for Lane of Roses, a website created to allow sorority members to share their religious experiences. Photo courtesy of Lane of Roses website

By Yao Yu

Lexington resident Katie Humphress said she created the website Lane of Roses to help girls see themselves how God sees them — as beautiful, valuable and loved young women.

“If you go on campus, there is a Rose Lane (off of Rose Street, near the W. T. Young Library),” Humphress said. “That is where many sororities at the university are located … so that’s why I call my website ‘Lane of Roses.’”

Lane of Roses is a website that encourages young women to share stories about how God has changed their lives.

According to her biography on Lane of Roses, Humphress started the website after spending time in a sorority at Ohio State.

Humphress said she uses the website to help college women build self-esteem. Her site asks students to swap their “fake ID” — how the general public might perceive them — for an “authentic ID” — how a higher power would see them.

“When I was a student at college, I felt that I was really alone and that I was not good enough,” Humphress said. “So I tried to find different things to make me happy. I thought of having a boyfriend to make me happy and making new friends to make me happy. Finally I found out that I should have hope and peace no matter what was going on in my life, even on my worst day.”

Accounting sophomore Sarah Baker wrote about her experience with counseling on Lane of Roses.

“If I put my articles online, it means that you are not alone, even though you … struggled,” Baker said. “On our website, you can see how people go through and overcome their fear and difficulties. So I really enjoy reading and writing articles about our own lives.”

Accounting senior Mackenzie Sunderlin said when she reads stories on the Lane of Roses website or in Humphress’ book, “Fake IDs,” she relates those stories to her own life.

“I will not only compare me to others, but look deeply in my heart and myself,” Sunderlin said. “I not only read stories, but also explore faith on my own terms and connect to (my) community.”

The website is organized by keywords like “fear,” “dating,” “hope” and “identity” to separate the stories on the website by common themes.

“Our intention is to let others know they are not alone in their fears and insecurities,” Humphress said. “Don’t make anyone feel bad because her story is different.”